5 Things I'm Looking Forward to in May
Holy moly--it's May already!
I can't believe that another month has come and gone. Seriously, April--why you so short?
At any rate, now it is a new month full of new possibilities, which means more things to look forward to! To celebrate the changing of the calendar, here are five things I am looking forward to in May:
1. Warmer weather and sun! (Fingers crossed). So far, May has delivered on this one. Today, for example, was warm enough for me to enjoy a long walk without a jacket. That is summer talk around these parts. I am hoping the trend continues, because all of the other things I am looking forward to in May kind of depend on the Weather Man holding his end of the bargain. I have activities to do and pretty summer clothes to wear, darn it!
2. Celebrating 17. mai in my flat! 17. mai is Norwegian Independence day (And it is on May 17th, as "mai" is Norwegian for May)!! Since 17. mai is a big family holiday, I really like to spend the long weekend with my relatives up in Ålesund. However, this year my exams fall right before and after the holiday, so I am stuck in Stavanger. But, as Atmosphere says: "when life hands you lemons, you paint that sh*t gold!" So, I will create my own celebration with some close friends who feel like family here in my flat. I am hoping the weather will stay nice so we can maybe even spend the day outside!
3. More mountain hikes! Sunday's hike was absolutely magical, and I certainly do not want my hiking season to stop there! My friends and I have been talking about trying to do a few hikes a month, and are even discussing another trip this weekend. To say I am excited would be an understatement :)
4. Finishing most of my exams. While it might seem kind of weird to put this on a list of things I am looking forward to instead of dreading, I have to admit that the idea of getting all the work out of the way is very appealing. Plus, there is a small part of me that thrives on the stress of getting everything together in the days leading up to the exam. This year, I am trying to get an earlier start (I have even scheduled two days this week to sit and school and do nothing but study), but that adrenaline rush in the final push always seems to give me the best productivity high.
5. The onset of Grill Season! The summer is so longed for in Norway that Grill Season is a veritable institution in Norwegian culture. The shops even have "buy 2 get 1 free" deals on hot dogs, hamburgers, and other barbecue favorites. Spontaneous grill parties on sunny days are to be expected. The fact that meat always tastes better when cooked on a grill, coupled with the sun's uncanny ability to lift everyone's spirits, makes grill season well worth the dark, soggy, winter wait.
And there we have it! Five things I am looking forward to in May.
What are your plans for the month of May?